New Content Daily Sign Up Here

Your Questions Answered

Understanding the Procedure for a Hong Kong Same Sex Partner Visa Application

November 30th, 2012

Posted by / in Visitor Visas, Your Question Answered / 20 responses


You’d be amazed at the number of queries we get on our website for same sex partner visas and I am grateful to the person who asked me this question as it allows me to clear up any application process confusion.


I am commencing a 2 year secondment in HK with my company in January 2013. My same sex partner won’t be able to join me until April or May 2013, due to his work. He will be arriving on a standard 90 day visitor visa.

I’ve read all of the info on your site and I am so grateful for it – it is certainly much more useful than my company’s in-house immigration / visa specialists!

I have a couple of questions. There seems to be an initial application process for a same sex visa. This involves all of the paperwork, and proving a genuine cohabiting relationship prior to coming to HK. All good so far. But do you need to do this application before submitting an application for a visa extension? Or is it all one and the same? If you could clarify that would be great.

Also, I’m wondering whether it’s better to do this before my partner arrives in HK, or if we should wait until he arrives? There seems to be 2 different forms, depending on whether my partner is in HK or elsewhere. Any advice you can provide would be great.

Thanks so much for your advice (I can’t believe it’s free, but I am so so grateful!)

More Stuff to May Find Useful or Interesting

10 must have resources for a successful Hong Kong same sex partner visa application

Is it ever OK to work on a Visitor visa?

Will any time spent in Hong Kong as a visitor count towards the magic 7 years for the right of abode?

Will the Hong Kong Immigration department extend your visitor visa is you ask them to?

Timing of Hong Kong gay partner visa applicationThe visa dilemma of a unmarried trailing partner seeking to work in Hong Kong




Please select the social network you want to share this page with:

The Hong Kong Visa Geeza (a.k.a Stephen Barnes) is a co-founder of the Hong Kong Visa Centre and author of the Hong Kong Visa Handbook. A law graduate of the London School of Economics, Stephen has been practicing Hong Kong immigration since 1993 and is widely acknowledged as the leading authority on business immigration matters here for the last 24 years.



CommentLuv badge